In order to make an informed decision choosing childcare, make an onsite visit and be prepared with questions that help you to determine if the program meets the needs of your child and your family. Refer to the check list we have provided for suggested questions.
All parents want an environment that is safe, healthy, and nurturing. Making several visits to schools you are considering will help you get a good feel for the environment and program quality. It is also important to be sure that the schools policies and procedures will meet the needs of your child and family. Often parents choose a program they feel comfortable with, but the policy requirements do not fit the family needs. Below are a list of interview questions to ask during the visits that will help you make an informed decision for your child and family. These questions have been compiled from our years of experience and the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
During your visit to A Child’s Garden we will answer the questions below as well as any additional questions you may have. When making a decision on our program or any program, remember to follow your own good instincts.
- Do you have an open door policy?
- What are the hours of operation?
- What is the latest time I can bring my child into school?
- What is the policy for late pick-up?
- What is the policy for someone other than the parents picking up a child?
- What is your policy for safe guarding children’s pick-up?
- What are the qualifications of your staff?
- What is your staff to child ratio?
- Is additional staff available to assist classrooms such as a floater?
- Does the director have classroom responsibility or is she available to teachers and parents all day?
- Do you follow a specific curriculum?
- What is the tuition rate?
- How are tuition payments to be made?
- Do I pay tuition when my child is out ill or on vacations?
- Are there any registration fees?
- Is registration required yearly?
- Are there any additional fees throughout the year?
- What are the dates the school is closed for holidays or other events?
- What is the policy for the administration of medication?
- What is the policy for sick children?
- What is my responsibility upon arrival with my child?
- What do I need to supply for my child?
- What is the best way to get my child started into program?
- What paper work do I need to get my child started?
- Do you have a written copy of the policy and procedures for the school?
- May I have a copy of parent references?